Translation biłgorajskie do połowy XIX wieku
BIŁGORAJ PROVINCE TILL MID-19TH CENTURY
One of the most significant events during that period was the Tarnogród Confederation formed on November 6th, 1715 in a church in Tarnogród. It was triggered by nobility angered by taxation levied for Saxon army operating in Grand Duchy of Lithuania since 1713. Noble tenets of the confederates, such as defending the honour and liberty of Polish nobles, were not sufficient. Lack of military power or a concise plan of action contributed towards the failure of the movement.
In 1722, during the First Partition of Poland, Austrian armies occupied the territory of latent Biłgoraj county. Apart from Biłgoraj, Janów, Goraj or Zaklików, also Zamość, Hrubieszów, Tomaszów, Szczebrzeszyn, and Tarnogród and Krzeszów located in Przemyśl Land became part of occupied region. In 1776, on the grounds of Warsaw Convention, Biłgoraj, Goraj and Janów along with surrounding villages were returned to Poland.
The territory was incorporated into the Austrian sector after the Third Partition of Poland and remained under the influence till 1809, when it became part of Tarnogród county in the Grand Duchy of Warsaw. When Congress Poland was formed in 1815, Biłgoraj and the area became part of Tarnogród county in the Russian sector.
In Zamość region military actions during November Uprising began in February 1831. Not only did people join the fights but also supported the cause with donations. Dreams of independence were still vivid when January Uprising broke out in 1863. Russian armies were not attacked in Biłgoraj area as they were too strong but on January 24th, 1863, near Józefów first fight took place. Szczebrzeszyn unit led by Gramowski successfully fought off the Cossacks.